Senior Accountant for provincial government agency client, downtown Toronto.
Marberg Job Number: 2133.
Job Type: Temporary.
Initial Term: December 18, 2023 to June 18, 2024.
Compensation: From $55 per hour to $60 per hour, according to experience.
Regular Work Hours: FULL TIME WORK HOURS – 7.25 work hours per day, not including unpaid .75 hour lunch break, to be worked during regular business hours, Monday to Friday (36.25 work hours per week).
Work Location: Hybrid – combination of 2 days remote and 3 days onsite at Client’s downtown Toronto office, on PATH and near TTC station. Onsite work expectations subject always to client business requirements, and may change according to client business need.
Provide financial services, analytical expertise and guidance on accounting standards interpretation, controllership frameworks, and reporting requirements.
- Lead accounting functions to ensure integrity and completeness of financial statements and reports.
- Provide financial expertise and advice to management regarding financial policies, systems best practices, internal controls and accounting practices.
- Lead process documentation of business procedures. Recommend and implement process optimization initiatives to improve timelines and accuracy of financial reports.
- Develop agency’s controllership functions including financial accountability framework, policies, standards, accounting principles and practices, ensuring appropriate risk management practices.
- Ensure effective reporting and monitoring to support controllership responsibilities and assist management in meeting control and reporting requirements.
- Provide expertise and advice to senior management regarding financial controllership policies, best practices and related issues.
- Draft internal communication material relating to changes to internal financial policies and processes. Provide advice and expertise to staff at all levels in the interpretation of financial and accounting policies, internal controls.
- Additional accounting responsibilities as required.
Education: Post Secondary Degree or Diploma in Accounting, Business, or Finance, or applicable combination of work experience and education.
Professional Credentials: Professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent) required.
Preferred Work Experience: At least 4+ years of progressive financial experience in a government or broader public sector environment.
Technical and Language Skills Requirements:
- Advanced skills in MSOffice, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access (may be tested).
- Strong knowledge of financial management software.
- Proficient English communication skills, both written and verbal, including advanced business writing skills and professional verbal presentation skills suitable for a range of audiences.
Task -Based Qualifications and Additional Attributes:
- Knowledge of accounting and public sector standards, generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP), financial management and banking, budget allocation, financial planning, budget planning and implementation and expenditure forecasting and reporting.
- Understanding of principles, policies and practices relating to the financial administration and processing.
- Demonstrated record of professional conduct and character. Responsible, reliable and works to deadlines.
- Pleasant and courteous: demonstrated commitment to client service and professional representation of the organization.
- Proven ability to respond to sensitive and confidential matters with tact, discretion, and excellent judgement in the interpretation and application of instructions and organization policy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently, collaboratively, and in an advisory capacity, and liaise effectively with a wide and diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated successful experience of prioritizing work, making decisions and communicating with others within a values framework of respect, equity, anti-racism, diversity and inclusivity.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada, providing satisfactory documentation upon request.
- Ability to work both remotely and onsite as required, abiding by organization health and safety policies.
- Ability to declare personal Non-Conflict of Interest in execution of assignment responsibilities prior to assignment start.
- Ability to complete a satisfactory Provincial Government security check, including a Fingerprint Check, prior to assignment start. Please note that Marberg will reimburse for the cost of the Fingerprint Check upon your acceptance of Assignment Offer and submission of approved Expense Receipts.
- Ability to complete a satisfactory credit check prior to assignment start.
- Provision of certification of AODA and OHSA online training course completion prior to assignment start.
- Satisfactory Background Checks, Technical Skills Evaluations, and Employment References as required.
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that Marberg Staffing updates job posts regularly, and external job boards may not reflect these changes in a timely fashion. Please refer to https://marberg.com/career-portal for the most current information including salary range.
Marberg is committed to supporting workplace diversity and inclusivity, to reflect the demographic profile of all Ontarians. Applications are encouraged from equity seeking groups including people of colour, Indigenous people, individuals with disabilities, and people from the LGBTQ2S community.
Job ID: 2133
Location: Canada Ontario Toronto
Category: Accounting and Payroll, Government
Number Of Positions 2
Pay Rate 55
Date Updated 11/29/2023