Law Clerk/Paralegal-Provincial Government Agency
Job Type: Temporary-Initial Term Jan 20 2020 -March 27 2020
Hours: Full Time, Regular Business Hours
- Legal and administrative support to in-house legal teams practicing various law specialties such as civil litigation, prosecutions, contracts, bankruptcies and insolvencies.
- Monitor caseloads to ensure critical activities are completed within statutory time limitations
- Triage incoming requests for service by identifying, gathering and reviewing pertinent information to prioritize, assign, or refer work
- Ensure availability of information such as case summaries, victim impact statements, lists of investigators/witnesses, and historical files
- Preparing/assist in the drafting and compilation of legal documents such as Affidavits, Statement of Claim/Defence and Demand Letters. Comply with instructions to amend contracts, agreements etc. against the approved final draft and consult with Legal Counsel as needed regarding further action required
- Assembling key documents and information in support of pending legal actions. This includes analyzing the relevancy of information, extracting that which is critical in support of the legal action, alerting Legal Counsel/Paralegal of any mitigating factors which may lessen the viability of a case, preparing key documents for issuance to opposing Legal Counsel
- Arranging Examinations for Discovery and medical assessments
- Monitoring all disclosure preparation, review and delivery of documentary and other evidence
- Completing disbursements
- Perform a variety of advanced database and system functions within Microsoft Access and other systems
- Enter, gather and summarize information for Legal Counsel/Paralegal to facilitate informed decision making related to matters such as acceptance of settlements
- Liaise with court offices to ensure proper scheduling and appearance of Legal Counsel, Prosecutors, witnesses etc.
- Monitoring external agents/retained Legal Counsel from initial retention through to billing. Maintaining relevant records to track service quality
- Track follow-up review dates for Legal Counsel, Senior Prosecutors, Paralegals; monitoring statutory limitation periods
- Arrange court/witness appearances; advise agents of information relevant to a case such as sections of the Act under which the defendant(s) is/are charged, applicable penalty section (s), settlement discussions which may have taken place, and any other matter pertinent to a case.
- Manage electronic and physical records
- Other related duties as assigned
• Post-secondary diploma in a Paralegal or Law Clerk program
• 2+ years of comparable experience in a legal environment
Excellent opportunity for junior to intermediate law clerk or paralegal to gain public sector experience. Easy access downtown location near TTC and GO.
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job ID: 619
Location: Canada Ontario Toronto
Category: Government, Legal
Number Of Positions 1
Pay Rate 22.09
Date Updated 06/01/2020