Bilingual Litigation Assistant for professional association client, downtown Toronto.
Marberg Job Number: 2022.
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent.
Compensation: $70,000 to $74,000 per annum plus comprehensive benefits.
Regular Work Hours: Full time hours – 7.0 work hours per day, not including 1 hour lunch break, to be worked during regular business hours, Monday to Friday (35 work hours per week).
Work Location: Hybrid – combination of remote and onsite work at Client’s downtown Toronto office, near TTC station. Exact hybrid schedule TBA.
To provide comprehensive litigation law clerk and legal administrative support services in both French and English.
- Prepare and file materials with the courts and tribunal offices in respect of hearings, motions and appeals.
- Assist prosecutors in the preparation and coordination of hearings.
- Draft and/or prepare affidavits, charts, correspondence and memoranda.
- Prepare and organize books of authorities, document books, facta, exhibits and hearing briefs.
- Assist with witness interviews, including taking notes, collecting documentation and potentially becoming a witness in regulatory proceedings.
- Prepare documents for disclosure, identifying privileged information, and redact as required.
- Coordinate process servers.
- Prepare and affirm affidavits. Testify as needed at regulatory proceedings.
- Prepare summonses to witnesses, contact witnesses for availability, and coordinate travel arrangements and/or virtual hearing appearances.
- Maintain electronic and paper files in accordance with established protocols.
- Schedule and coordinate meeting logistics, including room set up, attendance lists and arranging for language interpreters as required.
- Manage case related deadlines. Respond to inquiries.
- Prepare expense reports, cheque requisitions and process invoices.
- Additional legal administration responsibilities as required.
Education: Law Clerk diploma or equivalent legal training.
Preferred Work Experience: At least 5+ years of as a legal assistant or law clerk in a litigation practice, government, or regulatory environment.
Technical and Language Skills Requirements:
- Proficiency in MSOffice applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook (will be tested).
- Fast and accurate typing skills (will be tested).
- Proficiency with case management systems, Internet and intranet and other software applications including Adobe Acrobat DC, ShareFile, and SharePoint.
- Advanced French and English communication skills, both written and verbal (will be tested). Polished and professional telephone manners.
Task -Based Qualifications and Additional Attributes:
- Demonstrated record of professional conduct and character. Responsible, reliable and works to deadlines.
- Pleasant and courteous. Demonstrated commitment to client service and professional representation of the organization.
- Proficient de-escalation skills. Ability to surmount internal and external job pressures. Excellent listening skills, and the ability to provide and receive effective feedback.
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and collaboratively, and in an advisory capacity, and liaise effectively with a wide and diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to respond to sensitive and confidential matters with tact, discretion, and excellent judgement in the interpretation and application of instructions and organization policy.
- Advanced organizational, coordinative and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks effectively for self and others, meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated successful experience of prioritizing work, making decisions and communicating with others within a values framework of respect, equity, anti-racism, diversity and inclusivity.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada, providing satisfactory documentation upon request.
- Ability to work both remotely and onsite, abiding by organization health and safety policies.
- Ability to declare personal Non-Conflict of Interest in execution of position responsibilities.
- Satisfactory Background Checks, Technical Skills Evaluations, and Employment References.
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that Marberg Staffing updates job posts regularly, and external job boards may not reflect these changes in a timely fashion. Please refer to https://marberg.com/career-portal for the most current information including salary range.
Marberg is committed to supporting workplace diversity and inclusivity, to reflect the demographic profile of all Ontarians. Applications are encouraged from equity seeking groups including people of colour, Indigenous people, individuals with disabilities, and people from the LGBTQ2S community.
Job ID: 2022
Location: Canada Ontario Toronto
Category: Bilingual, Legal
Number Of Positions 1
Pay Rate 70000
Date Updated 11/07/2023